Sunday, November 15, 2015

20,000 Views!


This blog reached another milestone in the last few days: it hit 20,000 views since I began in December 2014.  That's as many views as leagues under the sea for all the Jules Verne fans out there.

It took about nine months to reach 10,000 views (as reported in a previous meta-blogging post), and then it took another three months or so to get to 20,000.

My most visited post so far is "Three Uses of Philosophy," which was linked to on Daily Nous.  I may discuss this subject again in a future post now that US Presidential candidate Marco Rubio claimed that we need "more welders and less philosophers."  (Spoiler alert: I think both welders and philosophers are cool, but I'm less sure about Rubio.)

This blog has been a fun hobby for me. I predict it will continue to amuse me as long as my love of philosophy and science fiction endures, and I can't imagine that ending anytime soon.

Whoever you are and wherever you may be, thank you for reading!

2 comments:

  1. The Discovery channel dude, Mike Rowe has been pushing a movement for several years now that Rubio is now echoing with his call for more welders and less philosophers. I understand that there are a lot of technical jobs going unfilled and in all honesty it would be great for a national movement that got the unskilled into a community college so they could get a job paying a living wage.

    There is one small problem with this idea both Rubio and Mike Rowe seem to overlook. I'm a blue collar type with a technical degree but I also have a deep love of history and I am slowly working my way to an online Bachelor's degree in that subject. What scares the living crap out of me is that many of my coworkers are unbelievably ignorant on the most basic points of both history and science.

    All the evidence I can see says we are creating full-fledged mindless Proles straight out of Orwell's 1984. I could give numerous examples of blatant ignorance but I would just drive up my blood pressure. Long story short, I can't see American democracy surviving without a population that has some idea of the past as well as a basic knowledge of how the universe works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I'll have more to say in a future post, but I definitely agree that we need to support and respect education for welding and other skilled trades. I also agree that this doesn't mean we need LESS education in things like history and philosophy. We need both. To think it has to be one or the other is to commit a logical fallacy called False Dichotomy.

      Delete